Tuesday, April 23, 2013

When Savings Matter Most

http://www.AutoSaver.com by Kimberly Ann

I heard an ad on the radio this morning that started me thinking.  The ad stated I could buy a new car for used car prices.  You’ve all probably heard something similar.  So I continued to listen because I wanted to know what kind of new car I can buy for a used car price.  It was a Dodge Commercial and they were advertising the 2013 Dodge Dart.  I wasn’t 100% sure what a Dodge Dart looks like, or aware of any of it's features, all I was guessing is it’s fairly small…hence the ‘Dart’. 

Regardless of the size, features, colors...bottom line I don’t buy new cars.  In fact, I’ve only bought one new car in all my driving years.  I’m just a used car kind of girl (and the depreciation kills me).  But I do believe it all comes down to wants and needs.  Personally, I want more of a car spending the same amount of money that I can buy less of a new car for.  Does that make sense?  So for the heck of it, I looked up what the Dodge Dart offers.  (Please note, I am strictly using the Dodge Dart as a reference.)

2013 Dodge Dart for $19,180
Some features include:  (Click link for full list of features)
  • 24 City MPG/34 Highway MPG
  • 6 Speed Automatic Transmission
  • Blue Tooth You Connect Voice Command
  • Cloth Seats
  • AM/FM/CD Player
  • 3 Year/36,000 mile basic warranty



Now I ask, what type of used car I can get for around the same price?

2009 Audi A4 with 43,000 miles for $17,991
Some Features Include:   (Click link for full list of features)
  • CVT Transmission
  • 23 City MPG /30 Highway MPG
  • Sun/Moon Roof
  • Power everything
  • Dual Air Bags/Side Airbags/Head Curtain Airbags
  • AM/FM/CD/Satellite/MP3
  • Leather Interior



Another:

2009 VW Tiguan with 33,998 miles for $16,999
Some Features:   (Click link for full list of features)

  • Automatic Transmission
  • 22 City MPG/27 Highway MPG
  • Sun/Moon Roof
  • Front/Side Airbags
  • Roof Rack
  • Power everything
  • AM/FM/CD/Satellite/MP3/Aux
  • Power Outlets



Two things to keep in mind: 
  1. Be sure to factor in depreciation.  A handy depreciation calculator is available here:  http://www.free-online-calculator-use.com/car-depreciation-calculator.html#calculator
  2. Warranties - Is there any remaining warranty on the used vehicle you may be considering?  Perhaps the money you save on a used vehicle covers the cost of an extended warranty? 

After viewing all three vehicles, it really does come down to wants and needs...our preferences.   Do you want or need a new car?  Do you want or need certain features?  Do you want or need great MPG?  One thing is for certain, we all WANT as much as we can get for our money, right?!

Well, I want to know!!  Are you a new car buyer or a used car buyer?  If given the choice of the 3 vehicles above, which would you choose and why? 


References:









No comments:

Post a Comment